Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tom Moore is 50 years old!

I couldn't believe it when I heard it, but Tom Moore, the Voice and Harmonica of Little Frank and the Premiers, turned 50 years young. The Midway Tavern Dancehall was the place to be last night to help Tom celebrate. The headliners of the evening was George Bedard and the Kingpins.

If you haven't ever seen George Bedard and the Kingpins shame on you. They are a top flight roots rock and blues outfit. George's guitar playing is phenomenal. He also has a reedy twang to his voice reminiscent of Buddy Holly and Elvis Costello. In fact, he kind of looks like Buddy Holly and Elvis Costello. From his version of the William Tell Overture, rockabilly style, to more subtle bluesy soul, and just plain rockin' out, Bedard is amazing. Bass player Randy Tessier not only thumps out the driving beats, he can sing! His dedication to James Brown of "I feel Good" was great. Rich Dishman is the drummer and sings harmonies. His beats are top quality.



Tom joined the Kingpins for a couple numbers. I loved 'C. C. Rider' a different kind of tune for him. Little Frank and Brian Cook and Bob Carter of the Premiers joined in. The guitar duets, especially in the last set, with George and Frank were out of this world. They played like they'd known each other for years.

There was a whole cast of other characters including Jeff Craft? and Bill Sewell?

If I'm going to do this blog thing, I've GOT to take better notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Character Sketches from the Road

I had stumbled back to truckdriving just before Christmas last year. The engine on my sv Ruth Ann was kaput and I needed to raise the funds ...