Friday, January 19, 2007

Mrs. Tomato's Best Looking Son. . .

My ears are still ringing a bit. I spent the evening at the venerable Midway Tavern with a couple friends and Duke Tumato and the Power Trio. Duke and his band ended with a rousing version of "You don't Have to Go Home, but You've Got To Get the Hell Out of Here." What a show! There just seems to be something in the hall that takes Duke to another level. Not only was every song an exceptional version, Duke was playing at the top of his game.

I probably saw Duke 5 or 6 times in 2006. This was the first in 2007. It is almost unfortunate that the 'comedy' aspect of his music overshadows his playing. Duke is an incredible guitar player. I was cursing the dancers as they made it impossible for me to watch Duke's hands.

Wild Animals, I'm Going to Tie You Up, and More Love, More Money were just some of the Duke Tumato classics in the set. Also, from the new CD, You've Got the Problem, Be So Easy, Trouble of My Own, and my personal favorite, My Baby is a Nudist.

Duke is supported by the seriously talented James Hill. I think I heard James doing some of his own stuff on XM Radio. James takes the vocals on two or three songs; all of them fabulous.

The rhythm section, Mark Christopher Rohrmann on bass and Toby Seiler on drums, are visceral. The beat pumps into the entire building and up into your bones from the floor. They never stop.

Duke is 66 years old. He played for well over two hours for the first set. There were lots of dancers, and lots of smoke too. It appeared to be a good night for Albertina and the Midway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Character Sketches from the Road

I had stumbled back to truckdriving just before Christmas last year. The engine on my sv Ruth Ann was kaput and I needed to raise the funds ...